Pages

.

Phototwitch 2010

Today, my attention turned to the Phototwitch. This is a competition run by Birding Oz (www.birdingoz.com.au), just like the Twitchathon, but instead of hearing or seeing birds, you have to take a photo of them! I wasn’t as into it as the Twitchathon (mainly because my parents weren't enthusiastic about doing a lot of driving), but I still participated, if only birding at Warriewood Wetlands, Long Reef and Manly Lagoon.

Arriving at Irrawong Reserve around 9:00, I quickly got my first photo, a White-browed Scrubwren, quickly followed by a Brush Turkey. Many of the other dense forest birds fell in within 30 minutes, including a stunning male Golden Whistler, a Rufous Fantail, Lewin’s Honeyeater (no Lewin’s Rail unfortunately), Brown Thornbill and Easter Whipbird (having a bath!).
Heading over into the main wetlands across the road, I heard a Brown Gerygone. The next 10 minutes were spent trying to get a photo of him (give me the Twitchathon any day, all you have to do is hear it! lol ) Some Red-browed Finches were making a nest a bit further up, and above them was a pair of White-cheeked Honeyeaters.

I got to the open wetlands area and quickly snapped Swamphen, Moorhen, Chestnut Teal and Pacific Black Duck. After this, there was a surprise. As I was trying to photograph a female fairy-wren (which I had assumed was a Superb), a male Variegated landed beside it! Turned out they were both building a nest, and as they were flitting about flew within cm of me… well, at least the female did… Soon after successfully shooting the male Variegated, a Spotted Pardalote landed in a small gum tree just to the left of me, a first for me at Warriewood. Dollarbird, Superb Wrens and Cormorants were seen within the next 30 minutes or so.
Back into Irrawong, I hoped to tick off a few more species I wouldn’t get back at Manly Lagoon. I finally found an Eastern Yellow Robin, and also a juvenile Spinebill. Nothing else was around, so about 15 minutes before the bus was scheduled, I headed back into Warriewood and found a Bulbul, Grey Fantail and Brown Goshawk. I was hurrying back to the bus stop, when I heard a Silvereye. Now of course I had to take a photo, so I searched all around me looking for the source. Turn out he was a metre in front of me, and I was looking in the reeds further back. Finally snapped him and ran to the bus.

Long Reef was next, where I got Ruddy Turnstone, Red-necked Stint, Sooty Oystercatcher, Pacific Golden Plover, Australian Pelican, Crested Terns and Silver Gulls. The resident Kestrel wasn’t around, but I made up for it with a Grey-tailed Tattler, which I haven’t seen at the reef for a while. While walking back to the carpark, I looked down to avoid a large puddle, and noticed a large bloodstain on my pants. Turned out there was a big fat leech there. I fixed that with some salt when I got home. Ahhh - the perils of birdwatching.
The rest of my 8 hour limit (5h) was spent around Manly Lagoon. I was hoping to find the resident Buff-banded Rails, which are normally very common – except when you really need them. My main aim here was to tick some of the common birds I’d skipped at Warriewood, like Crested Pigeon, Magpie, Magpie Lark, Noisy Miner, both Wattlebirds, Kookaburra, etc.

With 2 hours left, I still desperately needed a Koel, Rainbow Lorikeet and Welcome Swallow. I set out and found the Lorikeets and Koels, as well as a Darter. The Welcome Swallow was surprisingly hard to find, and I saw one on the oval where there are normally 20 or so. Last, I went to the Pied Currawong nest I’ve been watching for cuckoo activity. Turns out, the baby in there is actually a Channel-billed Cuckoo. A good end to the phototwitch… for me - not for the Currawongs…

Stats
65 species snapped
Some only seen or heard (like Sacred Kingfisher and a flushing Wonga Pigeon)
Biggest Dip – Rock Dove (shameful, I know)
1 Leech

No comments:

Post a Comment