Pages

.

Gold Coast Birding

Binna Burra, Lamington National Park
The morning after a 12 hour trip in the car up to my Grandma's house in the Gold Coast, I was lucky enough to be driven to Binna Burra in Lamington National Park, to hopefully get a lifer or two, and some year ticks while I'm at it.

While driving towards the park, a glimpse of a White-headed Pigeon was welcome, but a short walk on the bellbird circut (only 1km or so) was the highlight of the day. I started well with Satin Bowerbirds and a female Regent Bowerbird feeding in a tree just off the path, followed by a small group of Logrunners being very vocal, but a wait-a-while vine didn't allow me to get very good views...

While walking back to the car, I heard a loud screech. Riflebird! I threaded my way down towards where it cam from, and then started scanning a fruiting tree with my binoculars. I then heard a very loud wing-rustle and a black shape flew over me, but not enough to tick. The next 30 minutes were spent going from tree to tree trying to find him, which was difficult with only one call every 3 minutes. I was walking back up to the path, when a black bird flew onto a tree trunk out of my line of sight. I stopped, and a beautiful male PARADISE RIFLEBIRD stuck his head out and regarded me quizzically. I quickly walked around to get a better view, and a minute or so passed without any hint of him. Just was I was losing hope, and loud screech alerted me to possibly the best view of a Riflebird I will ever get! Sitting on a sunlit branch only two metres away, the male started practising his display, wing raising and all. It took me a few minutes to get the camera out, and it wasn't a particularly good angle, but who cares? (You can tell I like birds of paradise, can't you?)

After that fantastic success, my mum and I headed up to the start of the border track. A hour and a bit of walking around got a little bit slow at times, but I was rewarded with some great birds. A Russet-tailed Thrush and Noisy Pitta were both heard, but I couldn't find them unfortunately. Making up for these losses were a Green Catbird, great views of Logrunners, a very vocal Grey Goshawk and some Yellow-throated Scrubwrens. A Pheasant Coucal on the side of the road was a good end to the morning. One day I'll go back in a better season and nail that elusive Lyrebird :)

On the way home, we stopped at a wetland near Emerald Lakes. Normally full of waterbirds, the only interestinf birds here were a few Magpie Geese, Little Egrets and Comb-crested Jacanas.

Coombabah Lake Nature Reserve
Being primarily a family trip, I didn't get out birding again for 4 days. Arriving at the gate (which was locked), we had to walk to the carpark before we got into the bush. If you want to see Australian animals at the Gold Coast, this is the place. The hundreds of kangaroos and wallabys were great to watch, and we did manage to find one of the 150 Koalas that inhabit the reserve.

Anyway - the birds.

A male red-backed Fairy-wren allowed brief views, Drongos and Pheasant Coucals were everywhere, both being seen on at least 5 different occasions. A pair of Pale-headed Rosellas flew past, and Scarlet Honeyeaters were calling, and a quick look in some mangroves netted some Mangrove Gerygones and a Whistling Kite. The stars of the day were a male and female VARIED TRILLER, giving prolonged views from just off the path.

 Paradise Riflebird
 Paradise Riflebird calling
 Green Catbird
 Yellow-throated Scrubwren
 Little Egret
 Frog species
 Koala
 Male Varied Triller
Mangrove Gerygone

No comments:

Post a Comment