Pages

.

Not so Noisy Pitta

With a report for a Noisy Pitta at Warriewood Wetlands on Thursday, I used my new Provisional 1 Licence to get up early (5:40), and head up there for a look. I arrived around 6:15, and I went straight to the small waterfall, just off the main path at the end of Irrawong Road where it had been reported from. I was dismayed to see all the Lewin's Rail habitat (in the lantana) had been weeded, so they've now probalby moved somewhere else. After attampting to whistle the pitta out for a few minutes, I decided to head up to the main falls to see what was around there.

The whole reserve has undergone a major facelift - and the paths have all been upgraded, with new steps, and almost all of the weeds have been cleared. To my surprise, at the main falls just over the new wooden bridge, I got eyes onto a Bassian Thrush. It then flew down to the ground, and started feeding next to a second one! It was good to see them here, as I haven't seen one at Warriwood for two years.

On the way back to the small waterfall, I mistook another (!) Bassian Thrush forgaing in the leaflitter for the pitta, and I heard the resident lyrebirds calling. Some Brush Turkeys have also started a large mound just off the track.

As I walked towards the small waterfall, I kept whistling the characteristic pitta call of "walk-to-work", which didn't seem to be working until, from a metre to my right, a large bird flew up from the ground with a wirr or wingbeats. And then it was gone.

I thought that was it. There wasn't much else that could have been apart from the pitta, and it surely wouldn't come back after being flushed. I walked around to the other side of the vegetation, and did a bit more whistling, and to my surprise, I heard some rustling. Then I caught a green-blob move through a gap in the foliage out of the corner of my eye. And then, what pops into view but a beautful Noisy Pitta!!! What an amazing bird!!! After heading back to get the camera from the car, I relocated it, and spent an amazing few minutes with it foraging within 5 metres of me, almost completely ignorant of my presence. Unfortunately, I ruined my best photo when the pitta sat in the sun on a log for about 10 seconds, as the camera didn't fire! It seemed to not take much notice of my whistling, and didn't make a noise once throughout the entire morning.

Other interesting sightings included a leucistic Pacific Black Duck (probably a Mallard-cross) on the pond with the fountain in it (see photo), four Hardheads, a party of Variegated Fairy Wrens, a White-cheeked Honeyeater, and a lyrebird running accross the track briefly, as well as a large number of other species. Definitely the best morning I've ever had at Warriewood!





No comments:

Post a Comment