Pages

.

Bombers over Ramsey

Waxwings  (Bombycilla garrulus) have to be one of the most popular, beautiful looking birds and every year, birders wait to see if there is going to be an eruption of them into the British Isles. Some years, nothing at all, some years just a few - this year they have been all over England and Scotland. 
They seem to be creatures of habit, turning up at the same sites for Rowan Berries year after year and
Ramsey Bakery is one of these sites.  For the last five weeks we have been driving past, watching the small group of White Sorbus trees.
On Saturday afternoon I noticed four birds in the trees, the light was fading and it was raining so I put the text out.
Sunday morning came and the text alerted me to 13 Waxwing - Ramsey bakery. The weather was grim but I took the camera and set off.
After four hours of rain, sleet and cloud the sun came out and the wind died down. The usual crowd of photographers (me being one of them) and birdwatchers had come and gone, so I thought 'well lets do it' !
So, Chris, Kay and I set a 40ft net and waited. The result  = 5 Waxwing ringed, all this years young.
A great day talking and showing people these charismatic birds in the hand. 


Photo Brian Liggins

Photo Brian Liggins

No comments:

Post a Comment