Pages

.

Easter Birding: Coonabarabran Area

While Josh went off to Fiji for a week, I spent a few days over the Easter long-weekend with the family up at my grandparent's property just outside Coonabarabran in northern NSW. I managed to get a bit of birding done around the property, but the highlight was an overnight camp out in Cumbil SF just east of Kenebri in search of  a Barking Owl.

I did the majority of the driving on the 7 hour journey away from Sydney. The heavy traffic through the Blue Mountains was to be expected, but I had consolation in a pair of Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos (year tick) at Katoomba and a calling Blue-faced Honeyeater in suburban Lithgow - an uncommon bird so close to the mountains.

The roads cleared up after Mudgee and we made it to 'the farm' around 15:30. It was unusually hot and calm so I soon set off into the bush just east of the house and was shocked to focus in on a pair of Plum-headed Finches! I was very pleased to see them here as well as being only the third time I'd ever come across them. A Speckled Warbler then appeared, another great little bird and I began to realise just how 'alive' the bush was. There were Golden and Rufous Whistlers everywhere, White-eared, White-plumed and Brown-headed Honeyeaters feeding on blossom alongside good numbers of Little Lorikeets. I was almost expecting to come across a Painted Honeyeater with all the flowering mistletoe! However, a calling male Cicadabird was a very welcome substitute! I got some of my best views of this species.

Headed back very chuffed and spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing. Came across a pair of Brown Quail not far from the house, as well as a flock of almost 50 Musk Lorikeets flying over. The garden was pretty active over my stay, with Jacky Winters, Grey-crowned Babblers, Spiny-cheeked Honeyeaters, Double-barred Finches and Diamond Firetails all seen.

The next morning I went out to the back of the property around Mt. Ulamambri and the surrounding forest. Highlights were a Spotted Quail-Thrush seen well, White-browed Babblers, Brown Treecreepers, Dusky Woodswallow and plenty of Autumn migrants - Yellow-faced, White-naped Honeyeaters, Silvereyes.

Later that day I watched a stunning adult Spotted Harrier cruise over the house. A great addition to the property list!

Saturday evening was set aside for owlin' so Dad and I set off towards Kenebri on the Baradine Rd. We got to the picnic/campsite called 'The Aloes' in Cumbil SF around 17:30 and set up camp. It was a really pleasant evening, hot and calm with a full moon already above the horizon - perfect conditions!

Australian Owlet-Nightjars called occasionally throughout the evening, but I didn't hear/see anything else on my half-hourly walks down to and along the dried up riverbed. It wasn't until 21:30, while Dad was fixing up his toe that he had sliced open on an exposed root, that I heard something. A Barking Owl was calling in the distance! I ran off down to the river and began walking down it, calling occasionally. I then heard one 'barking' further down the river. I barked back and it soon started calling from a large tree just to my right. I scrambled up the river bank, shone the spotlight up and there he was - perched on an open branch staring down at me! Aus tick number 495! A very cool bird who I soon left alone to continue his duet with another Barking Owl in the distance.

I returned to camp, my faith in spotlighting lightened (hah!).

It was a cool, calm morning the next day and the first bird I saw was a pair of Turquoise Parrots 'Turqs' flying over, calling. I got up and headed off seeing White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike, Speckled Warbler, Restless Flycatcher and some other decent species before returning to camp to pack up.

We set off via Carmel Lagoon where I added Plumed Whistling-Duck and White-rumped Miner to the year list.

The next two days at the farm were pretty bad, weatherwise, with strong winds and a big downpour, so that's about where my report ends.

Overall it was still a very successful little venture and just another step towards big 500...

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment