Pages

.

Very Quiet

I spent 4 Hours at the Reedbed site this morning and only ringed 2 Blackbirds very Quite with no sight or sound of Sedge Warblers having returned yet. I packed up and headed off to another site we have permission to ring at on the coast. Not many days when you can put a mist net up here with out the wind blowing. I have been placing corn down for Yellowhammer at this site as they have been ringed here before. I was hoping to Whoosh net here because of the wind.
Yesterday i went for a look and saw there were 4 Yellowhammers on the site, 2 Pairs. The wind was to strong to try and place a net and the birds were no where near the seed and quite happy to sit up on the Gorse and let me get a few shots.
So today a net went up and a cracking Adult male was ringed.
Yellowhammers on the isle of Man are very few and far between in the Manx bird Atlas it gives the population as between 122 >146.
I do not think it is any where near that now but hopefully with a feeding station now set up and birds about we will be able to monitor the numbers.




No comments:

Post a Comment