Pages

.

IBATD Eglinton Valley

Day 2
The day started well, with a short walk through a forest producing NEW ZEALAND FANTAIL (still classified as a Grey Fantail, but I'm pretty sure it will be split soon), and a pair of BROWN CREEPERS came down from he canopy with a bit of pishing.

This was followed by a Long Drive...

Arriving in the Eglinton Valley, I added Tui to my year list (saw these on the North Island a few years ago before my birding obsession kicked in) and spotted some PARADISE SHELDUCKS and BLACK-FRONTED TERNS in a nearby paddock.

Everything before this point had not really been birding, just incidental ticks. I now played one of my limited birding cards and got the family to do a 30 minute nature walk at Lake Gunn. A NEW ZEALAND ROBIN showed nicely, and a male TOMTIT flew around us catching insects. A small group of RIFLEMAN entertained me, and a Kaka (another North Island tick) flew overhead. Unfortunately, no Yellow-crowned Parakeets.

Getting back to our lodge, I was chatting to the owner about the birds around the area when he said casually "oh, and there's a pair of Yellowheads nesting just up that path there". I was stunned for a few seconds (as Yellowheads are extremely hard to find I hadn't expected to see one in the trip). I thanked him and walked up the path, to be almost instantly rewarded with great view of a pair of Yellowheads feeding in the lower canopy! Amazing birds and my cr#p photo doesn't do them any justice.

 New Zealand Robin
 Rifleman
 Tui
 Tomtit
Yellowhead

No comments:

Post a Comment