Pages

.

IBATD Haast and Wanaka

Day 13
Drove south to Haast. Normally the beaches here would be great for Fiordland Crested Penguins, but it was the wrong time of year, as it was in Doubtful Sound. We did some walks off the Haast Pass Rd, hoping yet again to see Long-tailed Cuckoo and Yellow-crowned Parakeet. Double dip. By now I had heard Long-tailed  Cuckoos 6 times without seeing them... This was also my last chance for the elusive Blue Duck. Dip. At least I finally got a photo of a Fantail.

Day 14
Had a relaxing day around Wanaka, swimming, eating, shopping, etc. I had an unexpected tick in the form of four CALIFORNIA QUAILS near our lodge. 1 male, 2 females and a baby.

Day 15
Did a four hour walk out to Rob Roy Glacier. This was now my last chance for Parakeet and Cuckoo. 4 hours and two sore feet later, dip and dip. Spent most of the time here getting better photos of birds I'd seen previously, namely Rifleman (the good photo from this day is shown in the Eglinton Valley report).

Day 16
Home. Well, after a long 10 hour transit we got home.

 Male California Quail
 Female California Quail
 "New Zealand" Fantail


Conclusion
New Zealand. Fantastic in thousands of ways. The scenery is spectacular everywhere, (not that I mentioned it much in the report, but it was), and the birds, while sometimes outnumbered by introduced species or confined to predator-free offshore islands, are often amazing just because they are so unique.

Overall, I saw around 40 species and got 29 lifers. In my opinion, a great place to visit, even if you have to limit the birding you do because of the family ;) I think one day I'll have to get back there and find all the birds I missed, namely Fernbird, Blue Duck, Wrybill, Weka, island birds, plus the Parkeet and Cuckoo...

Thanks to;
The Family - for putting up with the birding, however minor it was...
Okarito Kiwi Tours - I have to thank Ian for that fantastic experience!
Birding NZ - for helping me put together all the birding aspects of the trip  :)(http://www.birdingnz.net/)

No comments:

Post a Comment