Pages

.

IBATD Mt Cook and Arthur's Pass

Day 9
While my sister was horse riding, I was driven out to Shag Point. No lifers, but I got much closer views of Spotted Shags, and there were a few NZ Fur Seals around.

After a long drive inland, we started to get into Black Stilt Habitat. Looking at every braided river we passed, I couldn’t spot any. Since we were pushed for time today, I was allowed to pick one spot to go and look for the Stilts. I chose the river area behind Glentanner Airport, which is meant to be quite reliable and it was just off the road we had to travel on to get to Mt Cook. After ticking a tame COMMON PHEASENT at the office and getting permission to enter, I headed down, checked out the promising sign that warned people about nesting Black Stilts in the area, I walked through the gate and…

If you remember I said at the very beginning of the trip report, we arrived in Queenstown just after the massive amount of rain? Throughout the trip we had noticed the odd flooded river, or lake with a tree growing 10m out into the water, showing it was flooded. Well, as it happened, my one and only Black Stilt location was also flooded, and to get anywhere near where the stilts were, I would have had to swim. Well, that’s a big dip :(

We kept going (stopping ever now and then to scan the area next to the road for stilts, but the combination of rain and no scope meant we didn’t see any), and arrived at our accommodation in Mt Cook. Maybe as a consolation for dipping on the stilt, a New Zealand Falcon had decided to wait out the rain on our roof. As it was raining, I took a few shots and went inside before I broke the camera. When it stopped raining we went out on a walk, where I finally ticked GREY WARBLER.

Day 10
Driving day. The only birding I got in was checking every (and I mean every) river we went over for Blue Duck. No cigar… We arrived at Arthur’s Pass late, where I had been hoping to sit outside at night and listen for Great Spotted Kiwi (not expecting to see one). Due to the rain and wind, I didn’t go outside at all after we’d unpacked the car.

 Common Pheasant
Grey Warbler
 New Zealand Falcon
 Spotted Shags 

No comments:

Post a Comment